Sunday, December 2, 2007

How I come to U.S.A.

How I come to U.S.A.

I am born and raised in Nepal. I am like those third world citizens who has dream to put foot in developed countries or first world countries. Among these countries United States is everyone’s first choice. I don’t know why but there is something that is pulling towards U.S.A.

A year ago many of my friends went to different countries as student. Most of them went to Australia. Then I also felt that I also need to do something to get away from my family, my country to some place where I can live like I wanted. Free. The only way was to go to other countries like U.S., U.K., or Australia as student. I chose U.S.

First of all I talked with my parents. They were angry. But I urged and managed to convince them to help me. Then I took English proficiency test called IELTS, which is necessary if you are going to English speaking country as a student. After I got my IELTS results (7.0/9) I went to USEF (United States Education Fund) to find Universities in U.S. that will accept me as student. My primary choice was Silicon Valley because of my interest in computers and they came up with two names SFSU and Lincoln University.

I issued I-20 from Lincoln University because it was inexpensive compared to SFSU. After I received my I-20 I prepared necessary documents and filled for visa interview. Cost for interview is $200 ie Rs13500/-. My interview was on 25th July 2007 at 9:30 am. But I was called for the interview at 10:45 am.

The consular asked me question about my studies, my parents and future plan. He was satisfied with the documents that I have presented and congratulated me and said ‘welcome to United States’. At first I could not believe my ears. I felt that I was dreaming.

Next day I went to consular section to collect my visa and I-20. From there I went to travel agencies for tickets. At first they all disappointed me saying that there are no tickets till September. Finally I got tickets for 16th August from Kumari Travels.

A day before flight there was gathering at my home. My friends and my relatives had come over to say goodbye. Next day my father, my uncle, my brother and one of my friends came to drop me off at airport. I said goodbye to everyone and left my homeland.

I came to U.S. via Thailand to los angels. When I get out of the terminal, I felt I am in different world. The people look different and I felt unsecured. In LA I met a poor Nepali guy who had missed his flight. I was upset too because I did not receive my luggage. We became friends and spend night together. Next morning I had flight to SFO. In SFO, my brother-in-law came to pick me up and we went to his apartment.

No comments: